Thursday 7 November 2013

He's our Refuge

The other day in my quiet time I read this verse "Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked one when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught" found in Proverbs.
I didn't think much of it when I read it, there were other verses that spoke to me more... but then something really funny happened that day. Elijah and I had to go grocery shopping, we got ready like normally and I was hearing something funny from inside the house. Sometimes in these concrete houses you can hear a person sneeze outside just like they were in your own living room, but when you wanna hear something it's hard to make it out. It sounded like a bunch of people at a party.
Elijah and I stepped outside on our porch and instantly were hit by the sound of thousands and thousands of mosques in the entire city blaring their loudspeakers. Every mosque talking all at once, singing, shouting... it was really chaotic and hard to make out what even one mosque was trying to say over the next. The speakers seemed louder than ever before... and the streets were empty. It was definitely an eery feeling.
As we started walking, we kept looking at each other, we were both a bit hesitant.
I'll admit, I tend to be a worrying person. I've got an imagination on me that can instantly go from 0 to 100 in 15 seconds flat... and don't put it pass me to add spaceships and unicorns... I can imagine up anything! I realized that we are in the Middle East and even though we're blessed with living in a stable country, in the Middle East I don't think you should ever put it pass chaos to escalate to anything it wants to, at any given time. I don't think I should write on the blog what some of the loudspeakers were preaching either :) It seemed chaotic (to us at least, we had never experienced anything like it before).
And then as I started to think it really awkward, the Lord reminded me of this verse.

He will be my confidence! In any situation.
It's like the superhero swooping in to save the day. The Lord is my confidence and what do I have to be afraid of on this earth? Niether things I understand nor things I don't understand. Chaotic situations or organized evil. It's the Lord that will keep my foot from being caught! Not my senses, logic, advise from friends with more experience or even warnings from the U.S. embassy that we get sent on our email. Nothing will keep me safe like me safe like my Father! There's nothing I can place my confidence in besides Him.
Walking in His confidence is such a beautiful and stablizing feeling. It's an instant confidence that know's no fear, that can stand strong in the face of anything, it's 100% reliable with absolutely no doubting to be found in it. His confidence is beautiful and overpowering.
And I realized why this is a verse I can apply to my life everyday.. anywhere I am, but especially while I'm in the Middle East with this imagination of mine. He is my confidence... I just imagine Him standing in front of me like a shield, God Himself! What's going to pass Him and get to me? He is my confidence, my shield, my refuge, my strength! He's my everything! What shall I fear?

It ended up just being a normal thing I guess they do from time to time. The Middle East is full of surprises! They love to catch ya off-guard ;)

We ended up going grocery shopping and Eli started to get really sick, so with all our grocery bags in tow we headed out to find a taxi. I started praying for a good taxi, that wouldn't rip us off, cause sometimes if your trip is kind of far they like to do that... and the first taxi we got was a good one. I love how the God I can have full confidence in with the big things, is also the God I can be confident cares about the little things.
He is just soooooo good. I can't even say it enough.

Are there areas in your life that you're realizing He's your complete confidence in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus loves you :)