Monday 18 February 2013

The Moabites and the Wadi

Last weekend I had the privilege of visiting Al-Karak. This city and the region surrounding is the modern day Moab. For you who aren't familiar with the history of the Holy Land, Moab was located east of the Dead Sea. Though there aren't any ethnic Moabites left in the region, some Arabs would like to think they're still Moabites. Life in this region is still very tribal. Your tribe (or family) is your protection, support, and it can even be the window to a better career. Community here is everything, to be individual and different is rare and can even be frowned upon. I really love this city and the natural beauty surrounding it. I plan on doing more posting about this region in the future. I hope you enjoy the pictures.


Some of my Muslim friends and I enjoying coffee at a local cafe.


A house entrance in Karak city.


A simple Christian families home.


Drinking Coffee in the sun.


My friend Dirk standing at Wadi Mujib (Arnon Valley).


Wadi Mujib (Arnon valley) and a full reservoir filled from the winter rain.


Arab men sitting in front of shop front.


A small feral kitten seeing if there's any food.  


Wadi Mujib.


My Karaki friend whose from an orthodox christian tribe.


An Arab families simple entertainment system.

1 comment:

  1. DIRK! So good to see him. :) All of these photos remind me of the trip we took with him and Wolfgang.

    ReplyDelete

Jesus loves you :)